Not posting in 3 months isn't something I've been proud of, but it's something I haven't been able to help. While I've been in some of the most amazing biodiversity hotspots in the entire world, am sailing around on a 1.5 million dollar yacht, have been with a [mostly] amazing crew of people, and am experiencing quite possibly the richest culture that still exists on earth, it's been no cake walk, as I suppose is similar with all mostly volunteer-run projects in developing nations, but I hope not to this extent.
So...that's why I haven't posted. I've been so consumed with not wanting to write something negative, given the vast obvious positives that encompass my everyday life.
I was once told by a friend in aid and development work that one of the most important things you can do to make a positive difference is to share information with those at home; issues and challenges, successes and traditions, political situations, environmental stresses, important statistics and whatnot. I don't plan on becoming one of those annoying activists who won't eat because people in Papua New Guinea are so poor that they don't have dinner (actually, Papua New Guineans, while very poor, eat HEAPS at every meal), but I do see it as part of my duty to pass on what I've learned about this part of the world. I've got to get back to the boat now, since it is getting dark and it is definitely not safe for white women to walk around after dark, but I'll be back with a post tomorrow about the state of PNG and some educational tidbits for you all.
Despite the state of the project and my seemingly new outlook on NGO and development work, I'm still more or less the same old me, toting that huge white-toothed grin and tendency to break into song most places, appropriate or not, just with a tougher immune system and a better tan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment