Hey all...
So I've been at my new "job" for a full week now and will give a quick update. I am currently volunteering with a more or less brand new NGO called OceansWatch, based out of the CEO's home in the Northland region of New Zealand. The mission of said organization is to work in close co-operation with the world's sailors, divers and scientists to undertake marine conservation projects and offer humanitarian aid to coastal communities in developing countries, as well as developing sustainable livelihoods and supporting local schools. Check us out for yourself here.
I am living in a modest cabin down at the end of the driveway with two other girls (one British and one French) in a small eco-community of about 6 families and exponentially more wildlife and livestock. I have job in quotation marks because it is volunteer work so I am not getting paid, but it is no less rewarding an experience I guess. Since the NGO is so new there is always something to do, and I have taken on a sort of PR/grant writing role. We are constantly in need of funding and I have been sorting through everything I can find to try and leak dollars (US, NZ, AU...who cares) out of willing trusts and organizations. I am also working on getting the final details of the month-long promotional tour we are doing down the northeast coast of Australia for November (more on that next month I suppose).
The scenery surrounding my everyday life here is unreal and absolutely breathtaking, at least when it's not raining (think of now as the northern hemisphere's version of April showers). My boss's daughter is quite the adventurer and is "very keen" on showing us around the grounds...usually barefoot, on horseback, or in a tree.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment