Thursday, February 18, 2010

On being American

It's a strange thing, and I still don't know how to respond when I'm confronted with being American. Most of the young people travelling in Australia and New Zealand are European, mainly English, so they already have a certain image of Americans which is proving seemingly hard for them to shake. The most common questions I get are as follows, in order of frequency:

1. Isn't everyone in America like, really, really fat? Aren't there McDonald's on every corner?
2. What are you doing here? I thought Americans never left their own country...
3. So do you live on the Jersey Shore? Do you know any Guidos?
4. What's the deal with the electoral college?
5. Peanut Butter and Jelly?

On the first, and most common question, I have a lot of thoughts. If that is the first thing you ask when you meet an American, you obviously don't know a lot about the U.S., but how do you know we are fat? T.V. shows that have reached this part of the world, like the O.C., America's Next Top Model, Lost, Gossip Girl, etc, certainly do not depict the majority of America's hefty public. Neither do the backpackers that are likely the only Americans Kiwis meet, who are usually eating off 5 bucks a day; not enough to make someone fat. If it is just because we originated disgusting fast food, fine, but there are just as many McDonald's per capita here as there are in America. And, I saw a drive-thru Subway on the South Island. Come on. Jamie Oliver does put a really nice spin on it though, watch the chef/activist here giving his TED talk.

On the second, I wish I could fight it with everything I have, because I have a lot of friends who love to travel more than anything, but on the other hand I do have a friend who doesn't even have a passport. He is 24.

On guidos...I can honestly say I am upset at missing out on the phenomenon that seems to be revolving around this new show. If Kiwis are talking about it...

On the fourth, I usually stick with my defensive mechanism. Fine, the U.S. is really a huge country, but sometimes I can't help but think that with these questions, they show just as much ignorance as they are trying to pin on me as an American. I may not be well versed in the American political system, but my British housemates have never even heard Benny and the Jets before...and Sir Elton John is one of their very own!

As far as peanut butter and jelly goes, it's childhood in between two slices of bread with the crusts cut off. It is clearly the most amazing sandwich ever created.

3 comments:

  1. However,we do have very capable dentists here in America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to point out that it's evidence of lousy manners for people to mock other nationalities. It's one thing for Americans to lament the electoral college, the Jersey Shore, and the obesity epidemic (which is hardly limited to us!), but it's quite another for people from other places with their own fair share of embarrassments to do so.

    At any rate, a belated Happy V-Day and all that. Can't wait to see you in person and hear all about your adventures. I've been thinking about you since I read this article in the Times about designing America's Cup boats. Your next job perhaps? xoxoxo --D

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/09/science/09sail.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post, what a bunch of foreigners!

    ReplyDelete