Set to fly out of Auckland into Cairns on Sunday! It's starting to get cold in the states isn't it....jealous much? Here I am to meet up with the CEO of OceansWatch, our science adviser and marine scientist, where I will join as "the crew" on OW's main project boat, Magic Roundabout. We are spending the month of November sailing down the Queensland coast of Australia promoting the organization. The team is fresh off a 4 month expedition in Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands, Tonga, and Papua New Guinea, where they set up 4 marine protected areas, delivered humanitarian aid to the coastal communities in the form of building a pipe stream for clean drinking water, and trained locals in the ReefCheck system so they can begin taking care of their own reefs so they do not disappear (because they are on track to).
We'll be sailing through the Great Barrier Reef (a reef so large you can see it from the moon..thanks Planet Earth!) hitting up Cairns, Townsville, Airlie Beach, the Whitsundays, Mackay, Gladstone, Bundaburg, Mooloolaba and ending in Brisbane. We are planning on stopping in at yacht clubs and marinas while docked for our CEO to make a presentation and to hand out brochures, all in all a promotional tour. Not sure what my internet sitch is gonna be like over there, but if I come across a toilet that doesn't flush from front to back and actually swirls, I'll be sure to post if it spins in the opposite direction. Until then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

For a good time go to the Woolshed in Cairns. It is a really classy place. Also, there's a really good kebab place on the corner near woolshed(read: near everywhere) that I ate at for a week (if you're there kinda late and there's a younger girl with glasses tell her you want "heaps of meet" and a "student discount" and see what happens).
ReplyDeleteBeware of the locals. They like punching people in the head for no reason, but really they're lovely otherwise.
I don't think you'll be able to since it's kinda far, but see if you can go to Cape Tribulation. It's the furthest North you can go in Australia without a 4WD car. Really beautiful.
Let's make this meet up happen.
Besos- Janderson
Also, watch out for Drop Bears!!! They're all over every single place you're going!
ReplyDeletePlease tell me you are going diving while your there! Its the Shiiiiit. I know from experience. Avoid BOX jellyfish. Also there's lots of wallabys in cairns. Sweet as!
ReplyDelete